Texas Bomber Dead After Attacks Spanning Three Weeks

Serial bomber Mark Anthony Conditt, 23, whose homemade explosives killed two people and injured four others in a series of attacks over the course of three weeks in and near Austin, Texas, was finally identified after blowing himself up following a confrontation with police on Wednesday, March 21.

Authorities tracked Conditt to a motel in Round Rock, Texas, early Wednesday morning using security footage from a local FedEx location and cell phone triangulation. As police closed in, Conditt fled the hotel in a car before driving into a ditch and setting off two explosive packages. Authorities said it was not clear whether Conditt was killed by the bombs or by gunshots fired by police. No officers suffered significant injuries in the encounter.

Long-time neighbors of Conditt and his family in Pflugerville, Texas, told the Austin-American Statesman that the bomber was home-schooled through high school and attended Austin Community College. He had worked as a purchasing agent for Crux Semiconductor in Austin and as a computer repairman.

Investigators believe Conditt made each of the bombs used in his attacks, but have yet to uncover his motive. However, Texas Governor Greg Abbott said that Conditt left behind a “treasure trove” of digital information that “should shed light on who he is, what he did, and why he was doing it.”

Conditt’s bombing spree began on March 2, when an Austin resident was killed after a package delivered to his front porch exploded. Two more explosive packages went off on March 12, killing one person and injuring two, which led authorities to determine the explosions were connected. Another bomb exploded on March 18, injuring two people, and on March 19, a package destined for Austin went off at a FedEx delivery center in Schertz, just south of Austin.

“AUSTIN BOMBING SUSPECT IS DEAD,” President Trump tweeted in response to the news on Wednesday morning. “Great job by law enforcement and all concerned!”

More News